“It’s overwhelming how generous people are and how much they want to help”
That was the first line in a recent email from Joan Barlow, the coordinating force behind the Make Way For Molly fundraiser. I’ve been doing a lot of research on the Make Way For Molly team, a group that cycles and raises money for the Pan Mass Challenge, as you may have read from my past few blogs on the subject. From the start the thing that has impressed me the most as I’ve talked to members of the Make Way For Molly team is the sense of community that this event inspires. Indeed – with just a few days left until the fundraiser this Saturday, the whole town of Newburyport has chipped in to donate items for the auction, round out the dinner menu, organize the DJ and even publicize the event.
Let’s start with the exciting stuff – the auction items. Here’s what’s on the block this Saturday:
- A custom shed made by Barlow Carpentry
- A pair of Nike sneakers autographed by Rajon Rhodo
- A night of cards hosted by Lady Luck – comes complete with appetizers, drinks and scratch tickets
- JPK of Paris Shoulder bag
- Tickets to the RedSox – 6th row behind home plate
- An autographed Boston College Hockey shirt
- A Black Swan Golf outing for four
- A Kindle
- Several wine baskets
- A spa treatment
- Original Jewelry (including some designs by Molly herself)
The auction items come from across the community and it seems like everyone has pitched in with something! It’s incredible to see what people give – I especially love to see the baskets, because they usually have something a little unexpected. This is only a partial list though – you have to show up to see the whole enchilada!
The menu is shaping up to be equally tantalizing – and this is one of my favorite parts. The table this Saturday will be prepared by Mark Mombello and it will include:
- Cheese Plate
- Dip with Crudités
- Chicken Florentine Lasagna
- Orzo Salad
- Pulled Pork
- Cole Slaw and Finger Rolls
- Caesar Sala
- An assortment of desserts from cheesecake to tortes
The fixed menu isn’t the first or last of the meal though – if this year is anything like last year people show up bringing their best dishes – from salads through to desserts. And maybe if Janet Short reads this piece she’ll bring her lemon squares….(yes, that was a shameless ploy, but I’m keeping it in the post).
As for music, there will be dancing from 8 until midnight and you can expect a range of hits from songs like U2’s “It’s a Beautiful Day” to Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary.” Who knows – with the combination of Joan Barlow and my own mom in the room we may end up with a Zumba dance off. Watch out kids!
As for publicity – everyone is lending a little bit of a helping hand. Barlow/Callahan family members printed up flyers. The local paper, the Newburyport Daily News, covered the upcoming event. Flyers are out all around Newburyport, and the Middle School even inserted them in the programs for its school play.
As for the nuts and bolts of the event, here are the details:
- What: Dinner/DJ/Dancing/Silent Auction/Raffles/Live Auction to support the Make Way For Molly team and the Pan Mass Challenge
- Where: At the Elks Club on Low Street in Newburyport
- When: Saturday starting at 7pm
- · Tickets: $20 per adult and can be purchased at the door or contact Joan/Mike firstname.lastname@example.org or Barlowcarpentry@msn.com. Cash/Checks only, no credit cards. All Checks payable to PMC
See you there!